Saturday, June 6, 2015

Exploer KC: Port Fonda, First Fridays? , Grinders and Christopher Elbow Chocolates








It’s pretty exciting when you realize that your own city can provides weeks and weeks of things to do. We realized after just a couple of weeks that we will never get through all of the places on our list. And then to top it off we've found all of these great things we can do in our own small town of Liberty.




On Tuesday Hailey had a dermatologist appointment and was graced with her first biopsy of a suspicious mole. Seeing as I am very well versed in such things, I was able to calm the entire situation and tempt her with a great meal afterwards. 

The plan was to go to Blue Koi for soup and some dumplings since once again it was a rainy morning. But then our wonderful dermatologist, whose name I will only share if you promise to get a skin check regularly, told us about Port Fonda, a Mexican place with fresh ingredients and a hip vibe. Well, sure! If you work in the area and you are making a suggestion, I’m certainly going to take it! 



Port Fonda is an unsuspecting place just across from Californos and Blanc Burgers in Westport. The menu is in Spanish, but with English descriptions. I ordered one of the soups and an amazing non alcoholic drink of lemon lime soda with cilantro. Incredible! The soup I had was so fresh and the chicken was tender and tasty. Hailey has tacos that had corn tortillas, shredded chicken, cheese and beans. 

What we both appreciated about this place was the fact that we left feeling healthy, not gross. The cheese was light and there was no grease, just fresh!

The next day was our attempt at First Fridays. I had done a lot of online research and found myself terribly confused on exactly what First Fridays was. I was combining what some of my friends would tell me about antique shops (Good Ju Ju in particular) in the West Bottoms and others in Crossroads art district. 

My online research told me specifically that The West Bottoms was where the antique stores open early on Friday and are open all day with a smattering of food trucks. The information I received about Crossroads First Fridays was a little different. What I once thought was one big First Friday turned out to be two completely different events. Needless to say I was frustrated. Because Jay knows his way around so well, I asked him to give us a quick tour of the Crossroads area about 2:00 in the afternoon. Well, sure enough, there was nothing going on because it really is just an after 5:00 event. 

Apparenlty posed pictures aren't all that cool so they thought a pic by a dumpster would be fun?

Hailey and the BF at Grinders

Wedecided to make our way towards Grinders since Hailey and the boyfriend had never been.  Grinders is so much fun. It's completely like something you'd see in a college town. We sat outside and the stars of lunch were the meatball grinder, the philly cheesteak and the fries! I can find a better BLT at Rock and Run or The Bell in Liberty. Just a great casual place to eat.

Then off to Christopher Elbow Chocolates for a bite of dessert. First Fridays will have to wait until July! See you there!


One piece of delectable, Liberty native, Chrisotpher Elbow chocolate. Set me back $2! Go on First Fridays and they are $1

No comments:

Post a Comment