Monday, June 8, 2015

City Market on a Sunday afternoon.





All those berries for $5!
few things we’ve learned about Sundays. First, Hailey and I like to exercise before church so 11:30 church is really perfect….except when it is the first really hot and humid day. We could not stop sweating until about 10 minutes into the service even even though we had showered. Just another one of those things that women have to deal with.

We headed to City Market after church,  but this time we decided to drive around a little and explore. We decided to park near an antique shop we found and then walk to the new pizza place we had heard about.

The antique shop called "Thistle"  was small and inviting. You know you are old when you recognize items in the antique shop and say things like “Oh hey, I had one of those!”.

We walked around the corner to Delaware and found Quay coffee which we will try soon and the new pizza place, Il Lazzarone Check out some detailed information on this new place. I had to look up the translation of this obviously Italian word that I had never heard before. What a weird name! It means part of group of beggars; the poorer class of Naples. Not sure what they were going for here but I think I'll ask next time we go.
Thistle Antique Store

Il Lazarrone Pizza on Delaware
We were warned that Il Lazzarone was a bit pricey but I was intrigued by the description I was given about a true Italian pizza so I had to try it. Our server was great and explained the purpose was to create neopoliatan style pizzas using fresh marzano tomatoes (they are so good!) and house made mozzarella. He said the oven was from Italy and he was boasting with pride.  We decided to share a margharita pizza with the bufala mozzeralla. It was $18  because the cheese was imported directily fom Italy. Note to self...the Bufala cheese was not worth it.  But I had to see just how good this would be! Oh my goodness;  it wasn’t the cheese,  it was the CRUST and the sauce! I hate pizza sauce. I despise it and steer clear but this was just like Italy. No this was better than Italy! The whole dang pizza reminded me of the many pies we had while in Italy last summer but this seemed a bit fresher, might I say more “show offey” Like, this is what I can do and I’m going to charge you for it. Well, okay. I’ll bite.


Then we were off to the actual market and did our typical walking around and just enjoying the sights and the people. As we were leaving a fruit vendor asked us if we liked strawberries so I said I did and the next thing you know he’s selling us an entire flat for $5. It was hard to believe but it happened. We walked back to the car happy campers and full of joy from the little things in our day. And we loaded our strawberries with lots of whipped cream!

What a great time it has been finding something new to do each day. And I have the very best company a mom could ask for.

Next week we explore New York City!

No comments:

Post a Comment