Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Florence: A little bit of this and that...and gelato!


Today we ran along the Arno River. Cam would run ahead and then turn around and get me now and then. We had breakfast and then headed for the Uffizi and Duomo on Bus D. It was only a 20 minute bus ride since we are staying the Oltrarno whicIh is the other side of the river.

We started for the Duomo but were sidetracked when Cam saw the Santa Maria Novella. In my first post I went in to what this was but I won't now...
Then we tried again for the Duomo but were again sidetracked at the bell tower...again I may go in to that later. I climbed 150 steps and stopped. Cam went to the top.
Finally the Duomo, which in my opinion is more impressive from the outside than the inside, but either way the whole thing has  cool history.
We stopped at a great little sandwich shop for a mozzerella and tomato sandwich and headed for the Uffizi with a stop for gelato in between. The Uffizi was amazing and I enjoyed taking picture of Medieval and Renaissance art to share with my students. To just be there was pretty awesome.
I Fratellini...great sandwich shop which also sells fantastic house wine by the glass
I Fratellini...great sandwich shop which also sells fantastic house wine by the glass
IMG_1390
Santa Maria Novella
Santa Maria Novella
Fantastic tour guide!
Fantastic tour guide!
At this point we went to the Ponte Vecchio (cool covered bridge with lots of little jewelry shops) and then walked home when we realized I left my debit card at the hotel and we had no cash.....ooops. I suppose transferring money and cards from wallet to money belt etc.. has its drawbacks. So we ended up at a recommended pizza place where I got carbanara and Cam got pizza and it was great! Nice little non touristy place!
So that's it for now. The rest will be told in pictures until I have more time to expand:)
IMG_1400
Duomo
IMG_1401
Duomo
IMG_1393
Bell Tower at the Duomo...he climbed to the top and was looking DOWN on the Duomo..
In front of the famous bronze doors to the Baptistry
In front of the famous bronze doors to the Baptistry

No comments:

Post a Comment