Friday, July 4, 2014

Florence: Food, Science and Michelangelo's David

FOOD!
I think the best part about today may have been all three meals! Sure we visited several museums, and actually, Michelangelo’s David was simply stunning, but my meals…oh man!
Breakfast was all about atmosphere. I grabbed my eggs, bacon etc.. and went down to the eating area in a lower courtyard. The weather was gorgeous. I had my computer so I finished yesterday’s blog and just sat for a while with an amazing cappuccino.

Lunch was an accident. Well, it was the place Cam chose because he needed to eat…NOW. So we walked into a tiny little place where you could see the chefs preparing the food and took a seat amongst locals. We had fantastic spaghetti pomodoro. It was piping hot and just remarkable for something so simple. It was a great value too!

Cam said he needed meat and that having only carbs was making him really tired. So we found a place recommended by our hotel and walked a very quite walk to the east end of the Oltarno neighborhood. We probably only saw 2 people in our 10 minute walk. When we got to the restaurant there was a man standing in front of the door looking as if he was blocking it so we walked past. But I realized he was blocking the entrance so I just boldly walked up and past him into what turned out to be a very quaint, very nice place. It was practically empty I assume because it was Sunday night. It wasn’t any busier when we left at 9:00 so I don’t think it was that we were there early.

Our front desk lady was so helpful before we left in helping me decide on an appetizer. We were going for the Bistecca Florentine (sold by the kilo) but we knew we should order something else. So we ordered the most amazing conccoli stracchino e prosciutto crudo. Basically it was fried bread balls, with the most interesting and delicious cheese and prosciutto. So you would take the bread and put some cheese it which made it melt and then add some prosciutto. Oh my goodness! Heaven! The steak was good too☺
Michelangelo's David
Michelangelo's David
Medici Palace
Medici Palace
Best little lunch place by St. Lorenzo Market
Our favorite gelato...mostly because they also sold my favorite, Schwepps Limone!
Best little lunch place by St. Lorenzo market
Best little lunch place by St. Lorenzo market
Galileo museum where I saw more inventions than I ever realized!
Galileo museum where I saw more inventions than I ever realized!
This wins the award for the best thing I ever ate in Italy.  I've never had anything like it.
This wins the award for the best thing I ever ate in Italy. I've never had anything like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment