Thursday, July 28, 2016

Yes, I vacationed alone!

"You're going by yourself?" they said.
"Yup! And I can't wait!"

I had this conversation several times with my friends and family. I completely understand their surprise. I mean, who would I talk to? Who would I eat with? Would I feel scared?

Ever since I was young, I've preferred doing a variety of activities alone. I have no idea why I'm like that. I know that I'm an "extroverting introvert",  meaning I extrovert very well, but I'm exhausted by it, therefore making me an introvert.

Social activities exhaust me. Teaching school exhausts me. Vacationing with family and friends exhausts me. I love all of these things, but they tire me out. So when my family recently went to Breckenridge, Colorado with a few friends, I found that I was doing a lot of the planning, organizing, packing and feeding a large group. And it was WONDERFUL! I loved it! Actually it is in my top 5 favorite vacations! But I didn't get to do some of the things I wanted to do and I was tired coming off of my cracked ribs from a bike fall. So, when we got back to Kansas City, and it was a million degrees, and I couldn't bike or get outside I asked my hubby if I could go by myself back to Breck for a few days. I would have loved for him to come too but that was not possible because of his work schedule.

But he said, "YES!"

He knows how much I love to travel and research and explore! So I was stoked to start my vacation alone. Adventures were in my future and they did not disappoint!

But I learned a few things too.....first and foremost, three days alone is my absolute limit! I couldn't wait to get home and hug my family. They are my favorites!

So here are my vacation pictures because words cannot accurately describe all of the fabulous things I got to do in 3 days in Breck........Alone.




First adventure: Figuring out the Denver transit system. Got my ticket, headed to Union Station downtown and had just enough time to grab a coffee and get back to the airport. I learned that there are no stops along the way other than parking lots. It's a true commuter train but what a great option for people living in Denver!
My condo was amazing. It was a one bedroom studio and this is the view from the balcony! I could lay in bed and see the mountains! This is one of my favorite things! I could leave my door to the balcony open at night and listen to the river going by! It was also just above Mi Casa mexican restaurant where I had lunch the first day. I brought back 2 jars of salsa for Jay because it was so good!


It was hard deciding where to eat in Breck! I did a lot of research but sometimes you have to go with your gut. This was a great healthy find called Park and Main!

Cuppa Joe coffee was on Ridge Street another great find. Ridge street is just one street off of Main Street and is definitely more of a local feel! This was my view while having breakfast and coffee.

Breck stores are full of great finds for travel gear. I found an awesome dress to travel with in summer and a pair of trail shoes which came in handy!

At the top of Swan Mountain. The first time I did this a few years ago, Jay texted me from the top saying it was pretty steep and I might not make it. About 30 seconds later I saw him and I think he was pretty surprised! I did it again on a bike not set up for me and in the second chain ring out of three because I didn't realize it had three!
Jay suggested that I swing by Keystone as a quick 5 mile side trip on my 40 mile ride. Wow was it worth it! It was such a nice secluded ride along the river!


My favorite coffee shop, The Crown! Nicest people, cozy and great coffee!

Lake Dillon Marina

Yes I dined alone! By night three I wasn't interested anymore but this was after my long ride at KENOSHA Steakhouse which has a spectacular deck out back!

Just outside my condo.....I'm kind of "Granola-y" in y head wrap, glasses and flannel....but I love it!

Carter Park Trail was my favorite and I can't wait to hike more next summer! I didn't want to go too far by myself but it was beautiful! 





Sawmill Trail was an easy hike but so pretty! Check out the picture below of the river and then the bridge! It ends up at a lake where I just sat and watched a chipmunk play for a while.




The free gondola up to the play park at Breck. I didn't stay too long...it was a little like a county fair up there!

No comments:

Post a Comment