Friday, August 1, 2014

San Diego and the dream bike ride.



Have to take a picture of my bike (or the rental in this case) on every trip.
I've decided to use this blog as a travel journal now that we are back from Italy. I love to travel and want to have these memories and be able to share them with the kids should they travel more some day.

San Diego in a nutshell was perfect! The weather is always 70 and sunny and the beaches are gorgeous.
I went with Jay on a business trip.

 Our first day we rented bikes and rode my dream ride up the coast. We drove to Torrey Pines and found some free parking along the street and rode to Carlsbad where we had a brunch at a cute little place along the road that we researched ahead of time. I believe it was called "The Daily News" or something close to that. The ride was simply amazing and everything I wanted it to be. Jay got frustrated with the many stoplights but I was riding hard so as not to completely bore him so I enjoyed the break!

The next day I got to drive to La Jolla and explore. It was so cool to just drive in to this beach town, find a great parking spot along the road and get out and walk. I saw kids at beach summer camps, got to see the seals and the coves and found a great restaurant called Cody's that I just walked by and decided it looked great because of the view and the quaintness of the place. I had crab cakes benedict that were to die for! I would love to visit this place again!
Riding up the coast
Riding up Pacific Coast Highwy
It was a short trip but the fact that we packed so much into one trip was great!

The one thing I learned about myself is that I don't require a fantastic big fancy hotel, but I do like it to be in a nice part of town, close to many things I want to do and not be gross. The place we stayed was a Holiday Inn Express with no outside windows and although the bed was okay, the AC was just noisy and icky. I figure if I can manage in a tiny place in Rome that is not much bigger than the beds, then I'm allowed to complain. But in Rome we could open the windows to the outside on both sides of the tiny room. There was a decent bathroom so we just didn't need much else.

The fact that I got to experience San Diego and my dream bike ride with my husband of 22 years is not lost on me. It's at the top of my list of fabulous things. Get out there and travel with the ones you love. This world is big and we have a short time here. Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment